The current Flag of Tuvalu was instated when the country became independent in 1978, after the separation from the Gilberts in 1976. Like many former and current British dependencies, the Tuvaluan flag is a light blue ensign based on the Union Flag, which is shown in the upper left canton of the flag. The previous flag (with the Gilberts) was also based on the Union Flag but with the coat of arms created by Sir Arthur Grimble in 1932, the resident commissioner of the British colony. The stars represent the nine islands which comprise Tuvalu.
6′ x 10′ outdoor nylon flag with white canvas heading and brass grommets.