The flag of the United States Navy consists of the Seal of the Department of the Navy in the center, above a yellow scroll inscribed “United States Navy” in dark blue letters, against a dark blue background. The flag was officially authorized by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on April 24, 1959 and was formally introduced to the public on April 30, 1959 at a ceremony at Naval Support Facility Carderock in Maryland. It replaced the Infantry Battalion flag which had been used as the unofficial Flag of the United States Navy for many years. It is used on land in offices, in parades and for ceremonial occasions, and often on a staff at the quarterdeck of ships in port. It is never flown by ships at sea, nor on outdoor flagpoles on naval land installations, and is not used as an identifying mark of U.S. Navy ships and facilities, as is the U.S. Coast Guard ensign.