The flag of Papua New Guinea was adopted on July 1, 1971. In the hoist, it depicts the Southern Cross; in the fly, a bird of paradise is silhouetted. The designer of the flag was 15 year old schoolgirl Susan Huhume who won a nationwide competition for a new flag design in 1971. Red and black have long been traditional colors of many Papua New Guinean tribes. Black-white-red was the color of the German Empire’s flag, which had colonized New Guinea prior to 1918. The bird of paradise is also found on the national Coat of Arms.
4″ x 6” rayon flag mounted on a 10” black plastic staff with a gold spear tip, base sold separately.